6.01.2011

Southern Breakfast: Eggs n Greens

This is one of my all-time favourite breakfasts. It provides a well-balanced start to the day, and feels healthier than a lot of breakfast choices. Also, it's super easy! :)
Start off by sauteeing some white onion (is good with red, also) and garlic in a little olive oil. (I realize I never give good measurements on ingredients, but that's because I almost never follow a recipe, and I pretty much make one-serving meals, as I'm usually just cooking for myself.) So maybe a quarter of an onion, and one clove of garlic.
Prep your greens (I used a bunch of chard, but I've done this with kale and other greens and it works just as well). The easiest way to cut the greens is by stacking and rolling the leaves, and then cutting them into thin strips:
If you're going to use the stems, which you can with chard, throw them in to saute first, as they'll take a bit longer. Then toss in your greens. I usually add just a splash of white wine or cooking sherry to add a lil something extra. When your greens are almost wilted, push them around to create holes, into which you can crack your eggs. Go ahead and crack the eggs in, and top them off with some cheese (I used goat cheese here, but it's also great with extra sharp cheddar). Let the eggs cook until the whites are cooked through. Don't push anything around, just let the whites cook right into the surrounding greens.
Once the whites set, slide that bad boy onto a plate and get ready to dig in. My preferred way to serve these is with a side of oven-roasted sweet potatoes, done up home fry style. However, this time I just had a side of unsweetened natural apple sauce. Plus a hot cup of coffee and the NYT magazine crossword. A great start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment