5.21.2011

Fools Gold

This morning has turned out unexpectedly beautiful in terms of weather and haul, especially for the so-called rapture. I made an effort to get up early, and got my lazy ass to the Bardstown Rd. farmers' market. I managed to make it there only an hour after it had opened (better than an hour before it closed, which is what I managed last week), so there were no sad empty strawberry crates to greet me this time. I even managed to braid my hair and put on a dress!
I picked up a dozen eggs, a pint of strawberries, some purple and green asparagus, fresh dill, some beautiful chard, a couple of tomatoes, and to my extreme delight, some garlic scapes. I've been looking forward to garlic scapes for weeks now, and can't wait to make a tangy lemon pasta dish with them. Here's my lovely asparagus and chard, soaking up some H20:
I couldn't wait to cook up some breakfast, so I went with oeufs-en-cocotte (baked eggs) with chard and tomatoes. Easy peasy:

I preheated the oven to 350, and added a pat of butter to each of my 4oz ramekins. I slid them in to the oven for about 2 minutes, just enough to bubble the butter.
 Meanwhile, I sauteed (over medium heat in olive oil) a quarter of a Vidalia onion with a clove of garlic. I added some fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of thyme. When they were soft, I added six finely chopped leaves of Swiss chard, washed, dried, with stems removed.
 After the chard was cooked down, I divided it amongst the three ramekins. I cracked an egg into each ramekin, making sure to reserve the yolk until the last minute, so it could sit prettily in the middle. I topped each each with a few slivers of extra sharp white cheddar and a few bits of chopped tomato.
They went into the oven for 10-15 minutes. After they were out, I topped them with a sprig of dill and a sprinkle of kosher salt. Toast up some bread and serve!
They are SUPER hot after they come out of the oven, so watch your little mouth. Sorry these are all crappy pictures from my antique first gen iPhone, but my camera is temporarily dead. Enjoy, lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment